Mobile technology has become a huge industry. It’s something that completely captivates me. As a result, I try to stay up-to-date on the 3 main mobile platforms and devices…Apple, Android and Windows. A lot of friends ask me for advice when they’re thinking about getting a new, or a first tablet (or even, (gasp) their first smart phone!)
Over the years I’ve come to rely on the resources I’m including here. There’s been a lot of turnover on who I follow and what resources I included here. But time has had its moderating effect, and more recently this list has become pretty solid, with only a few minor tweaks here and there.
My Idea to Let this Page Self-Update
In this favorites section, I’ve included only writers who consistently rewrite or update their reviews. In each instance I link to of their favorite current Top Tablets: I last updated this list on November 14, 2017. All articles are current as of that date. While I try to remember to update this annually…that doesn’t always happen…so it your reading this and it needs updating just let me know in the feedback box towards the very bottom.
The way I’ve created this list should mean that it really auto-updates itself, because most of the authors I’ve included update their own lists every year. It’s my fail-safe system. But like all systems…it can fail at anytime…so if an author decides to stop updating their guide, then the link here will take you to the last, or most current version in existence.
Some of My Favorite Review’s Columnists
- TechRadar’s Top Tablets – TechRadar is one of my favorite sources for technology articles because the writing is good, the presentation is clean and nice visually, and there aren’t a lot of ads.
- Cnet’s Best Tablets – on the left when you arrive at this webpage, there are links to more reviews/ranking articles by type of tablet such as Androids, or budget tablets
- PC Magazines Top Tablets – includes a comparison table format with features, specs, and lots of helpful information
- The Wirecutter a New York Times publication – what I’ve chosen to link to here isn’t just one article but the whole Tablet Section which is updated frequently. Within this section, amongst many articles about cases and accessories and 3 key articles.
- In September 2017 the Wirecutter made their annual announcement of which tablet they deemed the best…this year it’s the iPad…Apple’s 5th generation version or what I call iPad 5.
- The Best Android Tablet.
- They also revisit the question can a tablet replace your laptop…this Year by discussing iPad Pro and Surface Pro.
- This link will take you to the most recent tablet news by Pocket Lint Best tablet / 2-in-1 2017: The best tablets and 2-in-1 devices available to buy today
- Best Buy’s Tablet Buying Guide
Since I’m updating this year a few weeks before Thanksgiving, and I keep seeing Black Friday headlines everywhere, I was thinking it might be helpful to include some of the deals related to tablets. But it’s such a short window of time for the deals and I only update this annually, so it doesn’t make sense. Instead I’m including some of the sources I use to find deals.
- Deal News is a favorite…here’s their recent Black Friday Tablet Deal Predictions 2017: Over $100 Off Current-Gen iPads
- Down in the Keeping Current section I list Forbes author Gordon Kelly…he writes more than any guy I know and his info is always detailed and accurate. He recently wrote Microsoft ‘Black Friday’ 2017: Best Laptop, Surface, Windows, Xbox Sales
Right after his introduction, so around the 2nd or 3rd paragraph in he includes links to other pieces he wrote this year on Black Friday deals including guides for Apple, Amazon, Best Buy, Kohl’s, Macy’s, Samsung, Target and Walmart.
Keeping Current With Mobile Tech News
In addition to the sites shown above here are a few more great sites for following and staying up to date on breaking technology news:
- The Gadget Show
- Gordon Kelly @Forbes
- 9 to 5 Mac is one of the definitive resources on Apple products and iPads…everything from latest deals and ‘how to’ guides to predictions for what Apple may come out with next can be found here.
- Android Authorityis 9 to 5 Mac’s counterpart in the Android world.